The David by Michelangelo was sculptured using a huge blank white marble block and required an uninterrupted work of the maestro during two years going from 1502 to 1504 after Christ.
The statue, sixteen feet high, represents a young man at the best of his physical health, with an expression frowning and austere. The biblical heroes, represented in total nudity, characteristic that is proposed again for the first time during the Renaissance period, is represented in a classical position in the round.
With respect to the David sculptured by Verrocchio or by Donatello, in the one of Michelangelo there is an ideal of perfection and power, so harmoniously coexisting that they become an icon of absolute beauty, but also an external symbol of the city of Florence.
The David was originally ordered by the Opera of the Cathedral of Florence, but once finished it was exhibited in "piazza della Signoria", in front of Palazzo Vecchio, where it stayed up to 1873, when a commission created for the celebrations of the 400 anniversary of the birth of Michelangelo, decided that the statue should be preserved inside the Academy of Fine Arts in order to protect it from the atmospheric agents.
From May 25th
2004, after a restoration that lasted more or less one year, it is again possible to admire the work inside the Gallery of the Accademia. The intervention, aimed in particular to the cleaning of the statue obtained by taking off from the marble surface the dark spots that were spoiling its splendour, has been concluded by the definition of a careful monitoring program to which the statue is exposed every year.