With its 500 inhabitants, Fabbriche di Vallico is one of the smallest towns in the province of Lucca. The ancient watermill of the XVIII century, that has been functioning recently, the medieval bridge and the suggestive Grotto of Lourdes, inside the parish church, can be visited in this little town set at 349 m. a.s.l. of altitude.
Besides being one of the smallest centres in the Garfagnana, Fabbriche di Vallico is also the youngest. In effect, it was born after World War II, when Trassilico divided into many administrative units and some of its hamlets gave life to Fabbriche. Among them, there are Gragliana, Vallico Sopra, Vallico Sotto and Fabbriche di Vallico. Trassilico and Verni, instead, have been incorporated in the town of Gallicano.
Yet, the history of the village dates to remoter periods and this has been testified since the X century. Moreover, the archaeological finds appeared in the Buca di Castelvenere show the human presence dating to at least the V century b.C., when the Liguri Apuani lived in the area. the Romans later substituted this ancient population, whose origins seem to be pre-Indo-European even, and the Romans themselves ceded to the pressure of the Barbarian invasions.
Among the population who contributed to the fall of the Roman Empire, there are the Lombards. They settled in the area of the Garfagnana in the ambit of a policy of conquest of Italy and they were the upright rulers from Pavia to Benevento. Probably, the first built-up area of Fabbriche was included in the dominions of one of the Lombard families in the region. Yet, after the year 1000, Lucca got possession of the territory.
Fabbriche belonged to the vicariate of Trassalico and it was dominated by Tuscany's regional capital until the XIII century. The intermediate position of the vicariate among Lucca, Florence and Modena (the capital of the Estensi's dukedom) caused the town to be at the centre of a series of conflicts to conquer it. In the end, the lords of Modena won and controlled Trassalico and its territories until the Unity of Italy in 1859.
Around the XIV century, the village became an important centre for the manufacture of iron and it was probably at that time that it got the place name of "Fabbriche", thanks to the arrival of a group of ironmongers from Bergamo. Chestnut trade is another activity that contributed to the growth of the town.